Diploma Courses in Event Management
(Event Management, Public Relations, Advertising and Marketing, Journalism)
Several institutes have come up with Event Management courses with duration ranging from 6 months to 3 years. The cost too varies from Rs.25000 to Rs.3 Lakhs!! Students being “new” to this field tend to join any course where “promises are great”!So here is an eye opener from a reputed and established career organization of 50 years expertise which is devoted to students' welfare.
What is meant by an Event?
Any programme, function, seminar, exhibition, show, contest or even get-together is termed as an “event”.
What is Event Management?
Organizing an event from concept to planning, arranging everything from finance, sponsorship, formalities to all the components/ ingredients, accounting and post event activities - all these steps put together to organize the event successfully is called Event Management.
Is Event Management in itself a course?
No, not at all! In fact it is training in ALL THE ESSENTIAL SKILLS that are required to manage an event successfully that makes one an Event Manager.
Most institutes fail to deliver the goods BECAUSE they do not teach the necessary skills properly/sufficiently, instead they talk about event management as a subject! For example one needs to be an expert in PR. But this skill is rarely taught in the routine Event Management courses.
One needs to be guided/informed on event ingredients and sourcing them and also learn the costing. Besides the compliances/ formalities/procedures are also of prime importance. Teaching in these areas is theoretical without any practical/operational information. These essentials are left out. With the result whilst applying for a job your credentials fail to merit an interview excepting for a bottom position of a helper/Junior assistant/errand person.
Even the so called practical training given by most institutes consists of delivering invitation letters, sticking posters or working as a backstage helper or escorting a guest! Does this make you an event manager/organizer competent for responsible post?
Hence it is of great importance that you know the right contents of a good course.
Here are the details of a “comprehensive” Diploma in “Event Management” designed and conducted by experts at IMFAA.
Event Management courses consists of 6 modules
- Management Skills, Personal Effectiveness and leadership
- Customer service, Presentation Skills, Direct Marketing (also called retailing)
- Media studies including costing and budgeting
- Effective Communication and Creative writing
- PR techniques
- Event Management Ingredients and Organizing Techniques
Each of the modules is designed pragmatically and imparted to train you in operational skills preparing for result-oriented performance. The training is instruction cum assignment oriented including projects as well as preparing portfolio of your achievement. Hence you are ready to take off as an all round executive in any reputed company besides becoming capable of taking up independent assignments. These courses are conducted in Association with two professional organisations viz.
1. Schnell Hans Advertising and Marketing Agency (since last 35 years)
2. Opportunities Today leading monthly career magazine published since 1971D
- Since these programmes are “workshop training” participants are limited to 10 or less for effective “intensive” learning and monitoring of projects and assignments.
- Sessions are twice a week.
- Total duration of course is 14 months. (Intensive: 7 months)
- Participation in projects
- Internship opportunities
- Job assistance/guidance on starting own business
- Selection after an entrance test and interview.
The entrance test and interview fee is Rs. 200/-
Multiple Career Openings:
This comprehensive training enables you to enter following fieldslowing fields:
- Event Management
- Media, Communication
- Creative Writing/ Journalism
- Content Provider
- Customer Services/CRM
- Call Centres
By taking up an add-on course you can enter even Tourism/Travel, Airlines, Fashion, Graphic designing etc. Information available on request.
Module 1: Management Skills, Personal Effectiveness and Leadership Skills
- Goal Setting
- Time Management
- Decision Making
- Human Understanding and Human Relations
- Effective Communication
- Seminar participation techniques
- Compering a programme
- Conducting Meetings
- Using leadership communication
- Speaking with confidence one-to-one, at social/formal level.
- Facing Interviews
- Preparing a speech including language, style, delivery
- Techniques, assessing a speech and extempore speech
Module 2: Customer Service, Presentation Skills, Direct Marketing
- Understanding Sales Presentation including importance, purpose,
procedure, plan, performance review, restructuring the operation through
creativity for a win-win situation
- Products and Services Promotion
- Overcoming hurdles and handling tricky situations during sales process
- Analysis for improvement and strategical planning
- Telemarketing techniques: compiling lists, preparing presentations, follow up
- Application of training in day-to-day life to acquire a winning edge
- Graduating from trainee to trainer
- How to be on the swift track to success
- Multiple returns
- Networking benefits
- How to achieve and exceed targets
Module 3: Media Studies including Costing and Budgeting
- Objective of Advertising
- National Advertisers
- P.R. in Advertising
- Media Study, Analyzing Merits
- Costing and Budgeting
- Advertising Ethics
- Application and Cost Benefits
- Agency Accreditation
- Project Work
- Working of an Advertising Agency and its various departments
- Official bodies/organizations of agencies and advertisers
- Practical knowledge on business related to Advertising
- Production of an Advertisement (various stages from conception to print)
- How to Start your own Advertising Agency and Useful tips to run it successfully
Module 4: Effective Communication and Creative Writing
- Art of Writing
- Creative Writing
- Interviewing Techniques
- Investigative Journalism
- Production and Publishing
- Freelancing and Representation
- Journalistic Ethics
- Language and Style
- Reporting and Review
- Feature Writing
- Proofing and Editing
- House Journals
- Success Techniques
- Official Bodies and Law
You will be able to publish your own magazine/house journal and take interviews as well.
Module 5: P. R. Techniques
- Internal P.R.
- Press Liaison
- Press Releases
- Feedback for Better Action
- Contests and Demos
- Damage Control
- Press Conferences
- House Journals
- Internal Appraisal and Surveys
- Planning and Organizing Exhibitions
- Group Interaction
- P. R. as a Promotional Tool
Module 6: Event Management Ingredients and Organizing Techniques
- Types of events (exhibitions, shows, contests & competitions)
- Event anatomy/ elements
- Organising event.
- Team components and functions.
- Cost structure and resource organizing
- Venue, performance / event.
- Participants, audience, sponsors, collaborators
- Co-ordinating, organising, publicising, promotion.
- Event marketing.
- Cause: charitable, social, professional, promotional
- Gains: brand building, continuity, repeat returns.
- Compiling Databases.
- Funds & cashflow,
- Accounts and returns.
- Media coverage, promotion.
- Tax and tickets, exemptions, legalities and compliances.
- Post event activities.
- Getting repeat patronage.
Diploma in Event Management will be awarded by IMFAA to candidates who have successfully completed all the 6 modules including projects.
- All information in the website as on 1st September 2003. Government Taxes/ Service charges to be payable extra as applicable.
- Anything mentioned in this website is subject to amendments/alterations as found necessary without any notice.